Languageland is a programme of language resources developed by Black Sheep Press.
With the support of a Speech and Language Therapist, it provides teachers with structured activities and resources to support the oral language development of children in Early Start, Junior Infants and Senior Infants classes.
The resources are flexible and can be used by teachers within their existing lesson plans. The programme involves children going on an imaginary journey to a place called Languageland on a “magic carpet”. Children enjoy singing songs, fun activities and the routine of sessions. Each session is inclusive; every child can participate and learn regardless of their speech, language and communication abilities.
The format of sessions involves:
- Songs (to encourage interaction)
- Puppets (to promote active listening)
- Magic Sack (to promote memory and sequencing and phonological awareness)
- Magic Tree (to build vocabulary)
- Magic Jigsaw (to promote narrative/re-telling an event)
See links to 2 schools who have seen the benefits of using Languageland regularly:
Scoil Nano Nagle Case Study
St Bernadette’s JNS Case Study